A micro-pistol with a macro attitude, the new Hellcat raises the standard for max-capacity concealed carry handguns.
We’ve heard the low rumblings coming from Geneseo, Illinois, home base of Springfield Armory, for some time about a new “something” that those of us concerned with personal defense might be interested in. Today, Springfield pulled the wraps off this mysterious something, revealing their new entry into the micro pistol category—the Hellcat 9mm semi-auto.
Although we are still in queue to get our hands on one, we wanted to give you the quick view of what the company is touting as “the world’s highest-capacity micro-compact” pistol. To put this claim into perspective, consider the Hellcat’s dimensions:
- four inches high
- six inches long
- one inch wide
As pistols go, we’ll certainly call that “diminutive.” The kicker is those dimensions support an 11+1 capacity with a flush floorplate magazine. The pistol comes with a second extended mag that holds 13 rounds. Add one to the chamber and you’ve got 14 rounds of 9mm bad guy medicine in a platform you can conceal quite handily.
Of course, compact and concealable are not the full measure of an EDC firearm, which is why Springfield developed the Hellcat to ensure total defense performance—from high-visibility sights and optional OSP (Optical Sight Pistol) slide configuration, to an accessory rail polymer frame, reversible mag release, and an innovative adaptive grip texture.
Good aftermarket support for the Hellcat is expected. CrossBreed holsters already has a full lineup of their most popular IWB, OWB, purse/pack, and static models ready for this interesting micro-compact.
We’ll present a hand-on review of the Hellcat once we’ve had a chance to wring it out on the range, but for now…
HELLCAT™ 3″ MICRO-COMPACT 9MM Specifications
- Caliber: 9mm
- Sights: U-Dot™: Tritium/Luminescent Front, Tactical Rack Rear, Optics Ready (OSP™ model HC9319BOSP only)
- Height: 4″ w/ Flush Mag, 4.5″ w/ Extended Mag
- Barrel: 3″ Hammer Forged Steel, Melonite® Finish, 1:10
- Recoil System: Dual Captive Recoil Spring w/ Full Length Guide Rod
- Length: 6″
- Slide: Billet Machined, Melonite® Finish, Optics Ready (OSP™ model HC9319BOSP only)
- Grip Width: 1″
- Weight (model HC9219B): 18.3 oz w/ Flush Mag, 18.6 oz w/ Extended Mag
- Weight (OSP™ model HC9319BOSP): 17.9 oz w/ Flush Mag, 18.3 oz w/ Extended Mag
- Frame: Black Polymer w/ Adaptive Grip Texture™
- Magazines: (1) 11-Round, (1) 13-Round Extended
- MSRP (model HC9219B): $569
- MSRP (OSP™ model HC9319BOSP): $599