Nothing epitomizes the upland hunting experience like a classically styled over/under shotgun, and none represent the melding of traditional O/U styling with advanced engineering like the famed 828U series from Benelli. For 2023, Benelli moves the 828U series to the next technological level with the introduction of the new 828U Steel model in 12- and 20-gauge.
The 828U series made its mark on the shotgun scene due largely to its innovative and patented steel lock plate. The steel lock plate locks to the back of the barrel to contain shotshell pressure and prevent its transfer to the receiver, eliminating the wear and tear on the receiver and hinge that traditional O/U platforms typically suffer. This has helped make the 828U series the preferred choice of O/U fans.
Now, Benelli presents a fresh model to the 828U line with the 828U Steel. The 828U Steel is made with a steel receiver versus aluminum. This adds a slight amount of weight to the gun to help mitigate recoil when using heavier loads and offers a subtle balance shift for smoother swings—even on fast crossing shots.
Another standout feature of the new 828U Steel is the addition of the Benelli Surface Treatment (BE.S.T.) to the barrels, receiver, and lock plate. This is a proprietary coating that offers superior corrosion and abrasion resistance, making the shotgun practically impervious to harsh environments. In short, the 828U, with its exquisite AA-Grade satin walnut stock and forend, satin receiver, and gloss barrels may look like a treasured mantle piece, but this gun is built to withstand hard field use for years to come.
As with all Benelli 828U shotguns, the 828U Steel includes the company’s heralded Progressive Comfort System. Contained within the walnut stock, this system utilizes three-stage recoil buffers that engage under progressively harder recoil to provide comfortable recoil mitigation to match light to magnum shotshell loads. Additional features include impulse-activated ejectors for a stronger and simple ejector system, removable trigger group to aid cleaning, and 40-point drop and cast adjustability for a custom fit.
The 828U Steel comes chambered for 2 3/4- and 3-inch shotshells in both 12- and 20-gauge. Barrel lengths offered are 26-, 28-, and 30-inch. Crio®-treated chokes in C, IC, M, IM, and F are also included.
Benelli 828U Steel Specifications
- Chamber: 12- and 20-gauge (2 3/4- and 3-inch)
- Barrel Length: 26, 28, 30 in. (12-gauge); 26, 28 in. (20-gauge)
- Overall Length:25, 45.25, 47.25 in.
- Average Weight:55, 7.65, 7.75 lbs. (12-gauge); 6.85, 6.95 lbs. (20-gauge)
- Sight: fiber-optic front with red insert
- Length of Pull: 14 3/4 in.
- Drop at Heel: 2 1/8 in.
- Drop at Comb: 1 1/2 in.
- Choke Tubes: C, IC, M, IM, F (Crio®)
- Metal /Finish (barrels, receiver, lock plate):S.T.
- Stock: AA-Grade walnut, satin
- MSRP: $3399.00
For more information on Benelli USA premium shotguns and centerfire hunting rifles, visit BenelliUSA.com.
- Unleash the Savings: Ultimate Guide to Black Friday Deals - November 21, 2023
- Wildlife Giveaway - November 15, 2023
- CrossBreed® Expands Holster Offerings with the ROSE by SIG SAUER™ Model Reckoning Holster - November 2, 2023